Brendan Smith, T.D. is the T.D. for Cavan-Monaghan and Fianna Fáil’s European Parliament candidate for Ireland-Midlands, North-West.
Brendan is the Chair of the Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party and Chair of the Oireachtas Committee on Foreign Affairs and Trade and Defence
Born in Cavan, June 1956. Married to Anne McGarry.
Educated: Bawnboy National School; St. Camillus College, Killucan, Co. Westmeath; and UCD (B.A. in Politics and Economics).
Brendan is also a member of Templeport Gaelic Football Club, the Cavan G.A.A. Supporters’ Club, Cavan Drama Festival, Cómhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann and Cumann Seanchais Bhréifne.
- Brendan was Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (March 2008 – March 2011)
- He also briefly served as Minister for Justice and Law Reform Jan 2011 – March 2011
- Minister for Children from June 2007 to May 2008.
Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture and Food with special responsibility for Food and Horticulture from September 2004 to June 2007.
- First elected to Dáil Eireann in 1992, he has been re-elected for the Cavan/Monaghan constituency in every subsequent General Election.
- Brendan previously served as Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Foreign Affairs and Trade, and Border Region Development and also as Spokesperson on Education and Skills.
- Co-Chairman of the British-Irish Inter-Parliamentary Body 2002 – Sept. 2004.
- Member of the Dáil Committee on Procedure and Privileges until Sept. 2004.
- Government Whip on Oireachtas Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs in the 28th Dáil.
- Brendan also served as a member of the Co. Cavan Vocational Education Committee including Chairman of the Board of Management of Cavan College of Further Studies and Chairman of the Board of Management of Virginia Vocational School.
- Prior to his election to Dáil Eireann, Brendan was Special Advisor to the former Tánaiste and Minister, the late John Wilson.
Food Harvest 2020
As Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries, and Food, Brendan was responsible for the development of the Food Harvest 2020 Strategy. in July 2010. This Strategy, launched in July 2010, was widely welcomed by all stakeholders in the agri-food sector.